Sunday, January 24, 2010

Blog It Out

I recently asked a friend if she had been journaling much lately. This isn't an odd question, because I know she used to journal rather frequently. She responded she had not. I found this interesting because I have also been abstaining from journaling recently. For those of you who do not know me well, I have kept a journal (or diary, if you want to call it that) since I was 12-years-old. It's an outlet I need to express myself, to make sense of myself, and it's also nifty when I have to go back to keep track of certain events in my life. So it's odd for me to not want to write in my journal.
Today I was talking to a different friend and asking, "Why is it that I can't write? Why don't I journal when I'm going through so much right now?" Our discussion led to the conclusion that when I journal, I write the truth. The honest truth. It tends to shed things into a light that I don't necessarily want to see or hear myself say. We realized there are no boundaries in personal journaling. Thus, when there are certain things I am going through that I am having a hard time dealing with, or there's just SO much going on that I can't even keep track of it all, I sometimes will not write in my journal.
Blogging, on the other hand, allows us to express ourselves in a manner that gets an emotion or thought out, while having the boundary of having others read it. This means we are still writing it in a manner that is true - but without the ugly, honest, soul baring truth we can't endure. Essentially, blogging gets the job done when journaling cannot.
However, I will admit that once I finally break that barrier and just start journaling about everything, it's so good and cathartic and I eventually have no problem. But it's just breaking that barrier and starting to journal again that is the problem. I think maybe blogging is a good first step.
Anyways, you guys probably don't care. But I had to blog it out.
Maybe I can journal now.


No comments: